004.932:94, 001.891.57, 004.413.5, 004.415.5:532
THE RESULTS OF THE INVESTIGATION OF THE INTEGRATED PERFORMANCE EVALUATION METHOD OF EDGE DETECTION BASED ON THE TWO-DIMENSIONAL RENEWAL STREAM
 Tomsk State University of Control Systems and Radioelectronics 40, Lenin Av., Tomsk, 634050, Russian Federation  National Research Tomsk Polytechnic University 30, Lenin Av., Tomsk, 634050, Russian Federation  Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University, Faculty of Engineering, Friedrichshafen, Germany Campus, Fallenbrunnen 2, Friedrichshafen, D-88045, Germany * E-mail: email@example.com
The paper presents the results of investigation of the edge detection quality for three algorithms (“Marr-Hildreth”, “ISEF” and “Canny”), obtained using the integrated method proposed in the work of Boaventura and Gonzaga. The studies were conducted in the environment of the program-algorithm complex of stochastic modelling “KIM SP”. The features of the program-algorithm complex are briefly described along with its integrated block diagram given. And the sequence composition of the morphologies structures of the reference space-time signals (RSTS) and their bitmap images are presented. The methods and approaches of the statistical modelling were used in obtaining and summarizing the results of the numerical experiments and the reference images were approximated with a two-dimensional hi-rise renewal stream. The edge detection performance for three algorithms under study (“Marr-Hildreth”, “ISEF” and “Canny”) has been evaluated under different levels of additive noise. The noise was generated by a random data generator with a near-normal distribution. The signal energy-to-noise-dispersion ratio was taken as a criterion of the signal-to-noise ratio. The analysis of the algorithms efficiency was based on the morphologies of RSTS reference images of “A” and “F” type. The results of the investigation are presented as a set of the overall quality factor estimates, the estimated probability of the correct edge detection and omission, as well as the false alarm probability against the signal-to-noise ratio. The calculation of the estimated probability of the certain components of the overall quality factor is attributed first and foremost to their various importance in such application domains as aerospace, navigation, geology, nondestructive testing and others. Comparison of the results obtained for three edge detection algorithms and two types of morphologies enabled not only to provide an objective performance estimation of using the integrated method for comparison of the quality of the search and edge location algorithms, but also to produce the selection guideline in the specific application of a particular algorithm depending on the noise level and the morphology type behind imaging.
two-dimensional renewal stream, stochastic computer simulation, research on models, edge detection, performance evaluation, comparison of algorithms.
- Liu G. , Haralick R. Optimal matching problem in detection and recognition performance evaluation, Journal of the Pattern Recognition Society, 2002, Vol. 35, P. 2125–2139.
- Kanga C., Wang W. A novel edge detection method based on the maximizing objective function. Journal of the Pattern Recognition Society, ELSEVIER Publ., 2007, Vol. 40, P. 609–618.
- Lopez-Molina C. et al. Generation of fuzzy edge images using trapezoidal membership functions, France: Atlantis Publ., 2011, P. 327–333.
- Laevski V. E. [The method of Suboptimal Estimation of Operating the Algorithms for Obtaining Pattern Outline Drawing]. Izvestiya Tomskogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta. 2009, Vol. 314, No. 5, P. 126–131 (In Russ.).
- Laevskiy V. E., Denisov V. P., Dubinin D. V. Imitatsionnoe modelirovanie: Issledovanie algoritmov okonturivaniya ob’ektov v izobrazheniyakh [Modell-bildung und stochastische Computersimulation: Objektive Beurteilung von Edge-Detektor-Algorithmen auf Grund der Ergebnisse der Objektextraktion in 2D-stochastischen Helligkeitsfeldern]. LAP- LAMBERT Academic Publ., Saarbrücken, 2011, 123 p.
- Dubinin D. V., Laevskiy V. E., Kochegurov A. I. [Operation quality estimation of object line pattern algorithms in images approximated by homogeneous Markov fields]. Izvestiya Tomskogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta. 2010, Vol. 317, No. 5, P. 130–134 (In Russ.).
- Dubinin D. V., Kochegurov A. I., Laevskiy V. E. [A Particular Method of Generating Stochastic Intensity Fields by two-dimensional Semi-Markov Model]. Problemy informatiki, 2011, No. 4(12), P. 35–40 (In Russ.).
- Dubinin D., Geringer V., Kochegurov A. A particular method of modelling stochastic intensity fields by isotropic, one-step Markov chains. Eine Methode zur Erzeugung stochastischer Helligkeits- felder durch homogene, einstufige Markoff-Ketten. tm – Technisches Messen, Oldenbourg: Scientific Publ., 2012, No. 5, P. 271–276.
- Abdou I. A., Pratt W. Quantitative Design and Evaluation of Enhancement. Thresholding Edge Detectors. Proceedings of the IEEE, 1979, Vol. 67, No. 5, P. 753–763.
- Kitchen L., Rosenfeld A. Edge Evaluation Using Local Edge Coherence. IEEE Transactions on Systems, 1981, Vol. 11, No. 9, P. 597–605.
- Venkatesh S., Kitchen L. Edge Evaluation Using Necessary Components. Computer Vision, Graphics, and Image Processing, 1992, Vol. 54, No. 1, P. 23–30.
- Salotti M., Bellet F., Garbay C. Evaluation of Edge Detectors: Critics and Proposal. In: Proceed of the ECCV Workshop on Performance Characteristics of Vision Algorithms. 1996.
- Dubinin D., Geringer V., Kochegurov A., Reif K. An efficient Method to Evaluate the Performance of Edge Detection Techniques by a two-dimensional Semi-Markov Model. IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Control and Automation (CICA 2014), USA, Florida, Orlando, CICA: IEEE Press, 2014, P. 1–7, DOI 10.1109/CICA.2014.7013248.
- Lopez-Molina C., De Baets B., Bustince H. Quantitative error measures for edge detection. Pattern Recognition, 2013, Vol. 46, No. 4, P. 1125–1139.
- Boaventura I., Gonzaga A. Method to Evaluate the Performance of Edge Detector. SIBGRAPI 2009, XXIInd Brazilian Symposium on Computer Graphics and Image Processing, Rio de Janeiro, 2009, P. 1–3.
- Halder A., Chatterjee N., Kar A., Pal S., Pramanik S. Edge detection: A statistical approach. Electronics Computer Technology (ICECT), 2011. 3rd International Conference, 2011, Vol. 2, P. 306–309.
- Dubinin D., Geringer V., Kochegurov A., Reif K. Bundled Software for Simulation Modeling. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Signals, Circuits and Systems (ISSCS 2013), Romania, Iasi: ISSCS Press (IEEE Catalog Number: CFP13816-CDR), 2013, P. 1–4.
- Dubinin D., Geringer V., Kochegurov A., Reif K. A stochastic algorithm for generating images by a two-dimensional Semi-Markov Model. [Ein stochastischer Algorithmus zur Bildgenerierung durch einen zweidimensionalen Markoff-Erneuerungsprozess]. Oldenbourg Wissenschaftsverlag, Automatisierungs-technik, 2014. Heft 62 (1), P. 57–64.
- Dubinin D., Kochegurov A., Laevski V. (Geringer V.) [On the Statistics of Space-Time Signals Created by a Two-Dimensional Markov Renewal Process]. Izvestiya Tomskogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta, 2012, Vol. 321, No. 5, P. 194–198 (In Russ.).
- Yates J. Contingency table involving small numbers and the χ2 test, Royal Statistical Society, 1934, Vol. 1, P. 217–235.
- Marr D., Hildreth E. Theory of Edge Detection. In Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, B 207, 1980, P. 187–217.
- Shen J., Castan S. An optimal linear operator for edge detection. IEEE Proceedings of the Conference on Vision and Pattern Recognition, 1986, P. 109–114.
- Canny J. A Computational Approach to Edge Detection. IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 1986, Vol. 8, No. 6, P. 679–698.
Denisov Viktor Mikhailovich – Dr. Sc., Professor, Head of Department of Physical and Inorganic Chemistry, Siberian Federal University. Е-mail: VDenisov@sfu-kras.ru
Dubinin Dmitry Vladimirovich – Cand. Sc., Docent, Department of Radioelectronics and Data Protection, Tomsk State University of Control System and Radioelectronics. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kochegurov Alexander Ivanovich – Cand. Sc., Docent, Department of Applied Mathematics, National Research Tomsk Polytechnic University. E-mail: email@example.com
Laevski Viktor Evgenjevich (V. Geringer) – Cand. Sc., Head of Laboratories of “Automotive Electronics“
and “Energy @ Environmental Engineering”, Baden-Württemberg Cooperative State University. E-mail: geringer@DHBW-Ravensburg.de