ANALYSIS OF FAILED SPACE LAUNCHES FROM THE POINT OF SPACE PROJECT RISK MANAGEMENT
Siberian State Aerospace University named after academician M. F. Reshetnev 31, Krasnoyarsky Rabochy Av., Krasnoyarsk, 660014, Russian Federation Е-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
An analysis of failed Russian space launches is carried out in this article. The authors have reviewed the statistics for the period from 2004 to 2014. Under unsuccessful launches the authors understood launches during which there were adverse events that caused partial or complete failure of the planned activities, damage or loss of the spacecraft, as well as damage to third parties. 19 failed launches are identified in the period. The characteristic nature of the event of the failure, and consequences damage to each of them are given. Failed launches in the context used rockets and boosters have been analyzed. There was a significant influence on the successful launch of the human factor and the level of technical control of production. The classifications of space project risks are given. The categories of criticality risk manifestation space project are defined. The correspondence between entailed negative deviations and groups of space projects risk and category criticality risk manifestation is revealed. On the basis of the study the predominance of technical group of risk as a source of reasons for the failure is revealed. The second by expression is human group of risks. The analysis showed that human risks are more critical to project the consequences of that due to the specific space projects. The need to review management processes in the implementation of space projects, including the risk management system is suggested. The solution of the problem lies in improving the organization of space activities on the basis of project management methods.
failed space launches, space projects, space project management, space project risks
- Belyakov G. P., Safronov M. V. [Features of space projects: structure, contents, life cycle] Мaterialy XV Mezhdunar. nauch. konf. “Reshetnevskie chteniya” [Materials XV Intern. Scientific. Conf “Reshetnev reading”]. Krasnoyarsk, 2011, p. 98–99 (In Russ.).
- Erygina L. V., Serdyuk R. S. [Growth trends of russian space industry]. Vestnik SibGAU, 2014, no. 1(53), p. 207–211 (In Russ.).
- Karpov A. S. [Aerospace industry of the Russian Federation: current status and prospects]. Nacional'nye interesy: prioritety i bezopasnost'. 2008, vol. 33, no. 12 p. 43–48 (In Russ.).
- Medvedchikov D. A. Kosmicheskiy proekt, ego uchastniki, kosmicheskie riski i uscherby [Space project, its participants, space risk and injury]. Avaliable at: http://www.space-ins.ru/index.php/kategoria2/19-spaceproject (access 10 November 2014).
- Nghi M. Nguyen Effective Space Project Management. Proceedings of the Project Management Institute Annual Seminars & Symposium. Houston, Texas, USA, 2000.
- Pajson D. B. [Space industry “new” and “old”: lessons and prospects for joint development]. Nacional'nye interesy: prioritety i bezopasnost'. 2013, vol. 205, no. 16. pp. 2–10 (In Russ.).
- Preyssl Ch. The evolution and process of risk management at The European space agency ESA. International Journal of Risk Assessment & Management. 2000, vol. 1, no. 1, p. 80.
- Safronov M. V., Kharlamov A. D., Belyakov G. P. [Analysis of failed space launches for the years 2004–2014]. Aktual'nye problemy aviacii i kosmonavtiki. 2014, no. 10, p. 37–38 (In Russ.).
- Fionov S. A. [To the Construction of Generalized Space Risk Management System] Strahovoe delo. 2011, vol. 11, p. 54–64 (In Russ.).
- Filatov V. V. [Peculiarities of modern stage of aerospace industry development and new requirements for specialists training]. Vestnik SibGAU, 2006, no. 5(12), p. 253–256 (In Russ.).
- White D., Fortune J. Current practice in project management- an empirical study. International Journal of Project Management. 2002, vol. 20, no. 1, p. 1–11.
- Roskosmos, Official site. Available at: http:// federalspace.ru (access 10 November 2014).
- Spaceflight Now, Official site. Available at: http://spaceflightnow.com (access 10 November 2014).
- Gunter's Space Page, Official site. Available at: http://space.skyrocket.de/index.html (access 10 November 2014).
- Kazhikin A. Voronezhskaja marka. Novye rakety gotovjatsja k startu [Voronezh mark. The new rocket is ready for launch]. Available at: http://www. khrunichev.ru/main.php?id=4&nid=2430/ (accessed 10 November 2014).
Belyakov Gennadii Pavlovich – Dr. Sc., Professor, Professor of the Department of organization and management of science intensive production, Siberian State Aerospace University named after academician M. F. Reshetnev. E-mail: email@example.com
Anishchenko Yuliya Anatol'evna – Cand. Sc., Docent of the Department of organization and management of science intensive production, Siberian State Aerospace University named after academician M. F. Reshetnev. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Safronov Mihail Viktorovich – Master’s Degree student, assistant of the Department of organization
and management of science intensive production, Siberian State Aerospace University named after academician M. F. Reshetnev. E-mail: email@example.com