631.1 Vestnik SibGAU 2014, No. 3(55), P. 210–216
THICKNESS MEASURING OF MODELED OIL-SATURATED ROCK WITH NANOSECOND BOHOLE ELECTROMAGNETIC LOGING TOOL
The Institute of Physics of the Academy of Sciences 50, bld. 38, Akademgorodok, Krasnoyarsk, 660036, Russian Federation Е-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
The paper presents the experimental results of sounding a wet sand-air interface using a laboratory model of a borehole GPR. For this purpose a box filled moist sand moisturized with brine was built. The box was located in a laboratory room on a concrete screed. Radar antennas were housed in a waterproof plastic pipe on the bottom of the box. Radar antennas were made in the form of dipoles with extended bandwidth. The transmitting antenna was connected to the generator, the receiving antenna to the stroboscopic oscilloscope. With variation of thickness of a sand layer over the antennas and the distance between the transmitting and receiving antennas the signals of receiving pulses were recorded. An attenuation coefficient of amplitude and propagation velocity of broadband pulse were measured. It is shown that the theoretical model borehole GPR, created by authors using the method of discrete sources, well predicts a temporary shape and time delay of the pulse reflected from the boundary layer. A method for determining the thickness of the layer of wet sand from the measured time delay of the pulse reflected from the boundary layer at different distances between the transmitting and receiving antennas radar was proposed. This me-thod allows to determine the distance to the interface with a relative error of 2.2 % without the involvement of a priori information on the electro physical properties of the medium in the layer. The results of this study allow you to plan and start bench testing of prototypes borehole probes.
: oil and gas reservoir, borehole radar, UWB pulses.
- Liu S., Sato M. Electromagnetic logging technique based on borehole radar. IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens. 2002, vol. 40, no. 9, p. 2083–2092.
- Hansen T. B. The far field of a borehole radar and its reflection at a planar interface. IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens. 1999, vol. 37, no. 4, p. 1940–1950.
- Epov M. I., Mironov V. L., Muzalevskiy K. V., Eltsov I. N., Salomatov U. P., A Geosteering Tool for Horizontal Well Logging. Russian Geology and Geophysics. 2013, vol. 54, no. 9, p. 1103–1107.
- Epov M. I., Mironov V. L., Komarov S. A., Muzalevskiy K. V. Ultrabroadband electro- magnetic wave propagation in hydrocarbon reservoirs in the presence of an oil-water interface. Russian Geology and Geophysics. 2009, vol. 50, no. 1, p. 46–52.
- Epov M. I., Mironov V. L., Muzalevskiy K. V. Sverkhshirokopolosnoye elektromagnitnoye zondirovaniye neftegazovogo kollektora [Ultra-wideband electromagnetic sounding of the oil and gas reservoir]. Novosibirsk, SO RAN Publ., 2011, 110 p.
- Epov M. I., Mironov V. L., Komarov S. A., Muzalevsky K. V. Nanosecond electromagnetic sounding of a fluid-saturated layered formation. Russian Geology and Geophysics. 2007, vol. 48, no. 12, p. 1054–1060.
- Epov M. I., Mironov V. L., Muzalevskiy K. V., Yeltsov I. N., Geosteering Technology of Drilling Tool in a Layered Medium Oil and Gas Reservoir. Proceedings International Siberian Conference on Control and Communications SIBCON. 2011, p. 155–158.
- Epov M. I., Mironov V. L., Muzalevskiy K. V., Yeltsov I. N. UWB Borehole Logging Tool to Explore the Electrical and Structural Properties of Near-wellbore Fluid-filled Areas. Proceedings PIERS. 2011, September 12–16, Suzhou, CHINA. P. 59–62.
- Epov M. I., Mironov V. L., Muzalevskiy K. V., Yeltsov I. N. UWB Electromagnetic Borehole Logging Tool. in Proceedings IGARSS. 2010, July 25–30, Honolulu, USA. P. 3565–3567.
- Muzalevskiy K.V. [Measurement of the frequency spectra of the complex permittivity of the oil-saturated rocks using the logging tool] Vestnik SibGAU. 2011, , no. 7(40), p. 127–131. (In Russ.)
- Epov M. I., Kabanikhin S. I., Mironov V. L., Muzalevskiy K. V., Shishlenin M. A. [A comparative analysis of two methods for calculating electromagnetic fields in the near-well space of oil and gas collectors]. Sib. Zh. Ind. Mat. 2011, vol. 14, no. 2, p. 132–138. (in Russ.)
- Epov M. I., Mironov V. L., Muzalevskiy K. V., Kabanikhin S. I. [Application of the method of discrete sources to calculate the pulsed electromagnetic fields UWB dipole probe in environments of oil and gas reservoir]. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Fizika. 2010, no. 9/3, p. 257–262. (In Russ.)
- Mironov V. L., Muzalevskiy K. V. Testing of the theoretical model for a wideband pulse propagation in the oil-gas collector media. PIERS Preceeding. 2009, Vol. 1, p. 303–305.
- Ebihara S., Hashimoto Y. MoM analysis of dipole antennas in crosshole borehole radar and field experiments. IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens. 2007, vol. 45, no. 8, p. 2435–2450.
- Moghaddam M. Response of a vertical magnetic dipole in cylindrically stratified media. M.S. thesis, Univ. Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL, 1989.
Muzalevskiy Konstantin Viktorovich – Candidate of Phisical and Mathematical Sciences, research fellow of the Laboratory of Radiophysics of the Earth Remote Sensing of the Kirensky Institute of Physics SB RAS, senior teacher of the KMT IKIVT, Siberian State Aerospace University named after academician M. F. Reshetnev. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mironov Valeriy Leonidovich – Doctor of Phisical and Mathematical Sciences, professor, corresponding member of the RAS, head of the Laboratory of Radiophysics of the Earth Remote Sensing of the Kirensky Institute of Physics SB RAS, head of the Department of the KMT IKIVT, Siberian State Aerospace University named after academician M.F.Reshetnev. E-mail: email@example.com